Everything started back when I got my very first shareware copy of Doom. I got fascinated with titles developed by Id Software. After playing the shareware version for months I finally got the registered version of Doom.
Soon I discovered level design tools like DCK (Doom Construction Kit). Within a few months I created a collection of ultra-hard levels which were well-balanced and rigorously play-tested through LAN weekends with friends that spanned across all three original episodes.
Its very strange coincidence indeed for an extremely talented programmer like Ernest Kleynhans and an experienced idTech developer and content creator like myself meeting on some random forum and end up creating something as awesome as Titanium 3D!
Since the finalization of its venture capital demo in early 2003 until now there has been no other home grown African technology that could match its polish and technical superiority. During that time it compared favourably against idTech3 (Quake III Arena).
UQE Doom 3
Probably the scariest game of its time unfortunately became less terrifying as the technology grew older. Not so much the art, but the loss of immersion on modern widescreen monitors caused by the lack of high definition resolution options.
Support for high definition resolutions have been added along with a few very minor tweaks and adjustments to bring the game back and scary as ever for those wanting to enjoy the original survival horror, like myself.
UQE Hexen II
Six years prior to the release of UQE Hexen II when Quake's source code were released in 2000, I've spent much time learning about the inner workings of the engine. This complimented my existing knowledge on the asset editing side of things.
During mid-2006 the UQE (Ultimate Quake Engine) project were started. Over the course of the next few years a number of much needed fixes and features were added to the engine whilst at the same time keeping true to the original.
Almost six years after the initial release of UQE Hexen II the UQE Quake project got its debut in 2012. The project had quite a number of false starts over the course of the past few years before it finally saw the light.
Since the original Hexen II game were built on a heavily modified Quake engine, most of the fixes and features were back-ported from the UQE Hexen II project over to UQE Quake with relative ease within the span of a couple of weeks.
UQE Quake 2
The intent of the UQE Quake 2 project were to create a purist update to the original Quake 2 game engine with a minimal set of new features to enable a more decent level of contemporary gameplay as well as fixing some of the obvious bugs and issues.
Like most of the other members of the UQE family of engine modifications, UQE Quake 2 features a core set of features and updates like widescreen resolution support as well as the ability to execute music playback via OGG Vorbis.